Complaint/Grievance Process

San Mateo County is committed to finding proactive and timely solutions to the problems and concerns clients/consumers may encounter in your interactions with the County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS). Clients/Consumers will not be subjected to discrimina- tion, intimidation or any other retaliation for expressing concerns, filing a complaint/grievance or appeal. Complaints/grievances and appeals can be filed by submitting an oral or written description of the issue to the Office of Consumer and Family Affairs (OCFA) or to the Quality Manager. You will have the opportunity to present information at any time during the resolution process. For more information on the problem resolution process, refer to the Consumer Rights and Problem Resolution brochure or visit

Consumer Rights
As a consumer of San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services, you are entitled to:

  • Receive timely access to services.
  • Be treated with dignity, respect and the utmost consideration for your privacy.
  • Receive information about treatment options and alternatives, presented in a language you can understand.
  • Participate in decisions regarding your health care, including the right to refuse treatment.
  • Be free from any form of restraint or seclusion used as a means of coercion, discipline, convenience or retaliation.
  • Receive a copy of your medical records upon request (costs may apply) and ask that they be amended or corrected, unless precluded by HIPAA regulations.
  • Obtain a list of individual providers, community agencies, and county clinics in your service area, including names, locations, telephone numbers, non-English languages spoken, and identification of those not accepting new clients. This list can be obtained by calling the Access Team at (800) 686-0101
  • Request to change your provider, a second opinion, or a change in level of care.
  • File a complaint/grievance, appeal, or a request for a State Fair Hearing without retaliation.
    For a complete list of Consumer Rights, call the Office of Consumer and Family Affairs at (800) 388-5189 or visit

Driving Walking/Biking Public Transit  Get Directions